For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: CT Emissions Test - 2.1L Engine  (Read 1993 times)

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
CT Emissions Test - 2.1L Engine
« on: August 11, 2005, 07:19:08 AM »
I was notified by the State of Connecticut's Motor Vehicle Dept at the  beginning of July, that our 1987 Vanagon Westfalia would be due for Emissions testing on or before August 24th. This vehicle had not been thru emission testing for almost 4 years, while the CTMVD tried to play catchup on the troubled program. CTMVD selected Agbar Technologies, Inc of Chicago as the prime contractor to set the new testing program in place. Agbar replaced the some 20 State owned Testing Stations with new equipment installed at some 252 Test Centers, mainly privately owned automotive repair shops and dealerships.<br><br>Agbar, the US arm of a Spanish Corporation, also operates the Emissions programs in Massachuetts, Rhode Island and several other states. After a rough start here in CT with software clitches, poor operator training and bad publicity, it appears to be operating fairly smoothly.<br><br>Yesterday, the the old Westy with 146K miles went thru the half hour test. You even get to watch the whole process on closed circuit TV while enjoying a cup of coffee in their lounge. The CTMVD also watches the procedure to reassure the public that no fraud takes place which plagued the previous program and to some minor degree, Agbar's new program.<br><br>Well, the old Westy passed, well within limits. I don't think, however, it would have passed if it had not been for the new re-built 2.1L engine and related components installed earlier this year. Here are the Emission Test results and I would be interested to compare them with anyone who has run a 2.1L engine, re-built or not, thru any of Agbars programs recently. Am also curious as how Agbar handles Vanagons with other than original engines. IE: Tiico, Subuara, etc.<br><br>                 HC(PPM)        CO%         NOx(PPM)        <br> Limit        160                 6.17         15333              <br> Emissions  89                  0.57           2982              <br> Result        Pass               Pass           Pass               <br><br> Gas Cap Test  Results  Replaced Adapter Leak Test   <br> Overall              Pass       N/A         No          N/A           <br><br>I suspect that for this test the Test Operator had no adapter for the Vanagons locking gas cap. I did not see him even go near the filler cap!<br><br>There was one final visual test (eyeball look) at the Catalyst.<br>It Passed.<br> <br>Make a post here on your experiences with your Vanagon's<br>encounter with the Emissions Computer and Good Luck.<br>Nevin Lescher<br><br>PS: Agbar's Software Version for this test was 5.03
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Re:  CT Emissions Test - 2.1L Engine
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 03:17:18 AM »
I don't know if my old '87 Syncro ever passed emissions. Maybe, but back before they got the rolling Dyno test up here in Mass.<br><br>Fortunately my cat-less '81 got "grandfathered" in as everything pre-'84 does not have to do emissions here in Mass.<br><br>I'm looking forward to moving the '81 over to much cheaper antique insurance next year when it turns 25.<br><br>-Stan
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.