For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: 84 Westy - soft clutch  (Read 4513 times)

phil

• Administrator
  • LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
    • http://www.empirevwcamping.org
84 Westy - soft clutch
« on: August 24, 2011, 02:00:57 PM »
When I slowly depress the clutch pedal it seems soft (less resistance) .  When I quickly depress the pedal it seems alright.  Anybody heard of this? What does it mean?
I'd like to know because I want to take off this weekend to Westcott Beach.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by phil »

Red Baron

Soft Clutch
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 04:42:47 PM »
Check the hydraulic fluid level in the master cylinder. It might be low. The reservoir and fluid level indicator are located on top of the dash console. Also check for leakage from the master cylinder. It should be quite evident as your floor mat will be soaked with hydraulic fluid. Also check the slave cylinder on the left side of the transmission housing and any other places along the hydraulic line from the front of the van to the back for signs of leakage. Note to that the master cylinder serves also the brakes. You can see the master cylinder just above the steering column on the fire wall.

Good Luck and as I remember those cylinders are a bit pricey. I had the same problem. Kept adding fluid to keep going until the floor mat was completely saturated until finally there was no clutch action, period.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Red Baron »

phil

• Administrator
  • LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 01:48:22 PM »
OK, Since my post, I checked the reservoir and it was low. It took a lot of fluid. My pedal got stiffer, but if I depress the clutch very slowly it is still soft. I am blaming this on air in the system which could have gotten in when the fluid got low.  Your help on where to look for leaks is terrific. Now I know what to keep an eye on. I have a handle on the problem now. I'll go to Westcott bur bring along a bottle of fluid too, just in case. Thanks.

rmace

• LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
soft clutch
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 07:10:51 PM »
It sounds like the slave cylinder is leaking, mounted on the bell housing to push in the clutch fork. You will see fluid leaking out of the rubber push arm. There is also a bleeder screw on it to get the air out. If your drivers floor mate isn't getting wet, it is the slave cylinder or the line leading to it. You should see a wet spot where it is leaking. Hope this helps the slave cylinder is easyer than the master cylinder for the clutch. later Rich
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by rmace »

phil

• Administrator
  • LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 01:34:24 PM »
I am still chasing down where the leak is, if I have one it is very slow. I don't see any drips in my driveway (yet) and there is no puddle on the drivers floor. That doesn't mean there isn't a lek, it just means I haven't found it yet. Thanks for the replies. I am needy.

rmace

• LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
soft clutch
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 07:16:32 PM »
Sorry to say Phil you will not see anything on the driveway. You have to crawl under the van. The slave cylinder is on the drivers side of the bell houseing, you will see a rubber bellows pull that back and you will see fluid. If not it is not the slave cylinder it will be dry. The hydraulic clutch master and slave only hold maybe 1/2 a cup of fluid, hence no spotting on the drive way. Hope this helps Later the Con Kid
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by rmace »

phil

• Administrator
  • LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 01:30:22 PM »
Ok, That is informative. I will crawl under the van and take a look. Thanks. I appreciate this.

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.