For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Eurovan choices  (Read 4868 times)

rgotthelf

• LiMBO LURKER
    • View Profile
Eurovan choices
« on: May 14, 2011, 03:16:29 PM »
I am planning on buying a Eurovan weekender. I am a fan of the 5 cyl., 5 speed configuration but understand that from '99 on there were significant upgrades to the vehicle. Anyone familiar with these vans that can provide me with some info on what  the actual advantages are on the later ones (NOT the auto. tranny which I don't see as an advantage) I would be most appreciative.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Bob Gotthelf
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by rgotthelf »

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 05:55:55 PM »
There aren't that many advantages. The V6 has some minor exterior styling changes in the nose.   The interior is mostly the same. Some improvements you wouldn't even notice, such as engine management.  Most of the improvements are comfort related..  all of which translates into more money when they break.  Automated climate control, airbags and ABS brakes.   The later models did come with rear disc brakes and a rear swaybar.  

The automatic transmission is definitely a disadvantage.  Count on replacing it at some point.  I haven't seen a VW automatic that holds up well.  With the exception of the Vanagon Automatic.  Plus the Eurovan auto trans is supposed to be serviced every 40K miles and I'm sure most people overlooked it.

For the money, I'd go with the 5 Cylinder/ 5 Speed.  But finding a decent one could pose a challenge.  I haven't seen one that wasn't a rust bucket in a while.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

rgotthelf

• LiMBO LURKER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 05:27:22 PM »
Thanks for the input; we definitely think along the same lines. I've heard that the brakes on the '93s weren't that great and the later models much improved but I guess brake upgrades are available to solve that problem.

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 05:52:08 PM »
I had a Carribean Teal Eurovan for 6 years.  At first I wasn't that thrilled with it.  But it did grow on me. It ran like a top. Normal maintenance was really all I did to it.  I did have a couple issues with it.  But they were easily fix.  All the shifter bushings disintegrated over the course of two years. I should have replaced them all at once and avoided the hassle.  I had some assorted coolant hoses leak.  I did have some trouble with the A/C.  Eventually it needed a compressor.  Other than that, it was great. The 5 cylinder had decent power, quiet enough.   I always said it felt like a 'civilized' vehicle.   Not that the Vanagon wasn't.  The Eurovan was just the next step in the evolution.   Although I always thought that Vanagon has more interior room.  Even though VW's specs say they are the same.  

Just after I bought it, I was parked at the local home center and I Chevy Astro van pulled up along side.  I was struck at the similarities in the design.  

I thought the brake were more than adequate.  I towed a 13 foot Scamp Trailer with it. (www.scamptrailers.com) The trailer didn't have brakes.  Loaded for vacation and 6 people on board the van had no issues stopping.  It was originally designed to tow 4000 LBs 'Braked'.  Which translated to 2000 LB unbraked trailer.

rgotthelf

• LiMBO LURKER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 02:12:28 PM »
Thanks, Phil
Good info. Helps my decision. Would you say that your '93 Euro handled pretty much like the Vanagon? I did get to drive an '02 and it wallowed all over the place like a softly sprung American car-not at all like our Vanagon.

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 04:28:33 PM »
I didn't think the ride was that bad.  On par with a vanagon.  A previous owner had installed Bilstein gas charged shocks, so it was a bit stiffer.  

My family was more sad to see it go than I was.. I think if the opportunity presented itself, I'd get another.  

PS: This is Jim Digennaro...

rgotthelf

• LiMBO LURKER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 01:54:47 PM »
Hi Jim,
Didn't realize that was you. Thanks for the additional info-that is what I was waiting to find out. Now I start searching in earnest. Hopefully with some patience I can get my hands on a white, 5 speed, Westy weekender.
Bob

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.