For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Got the bus going?  (Read 3618 times)

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
Got the bus going?
« on: May 01, 2011, 06:47:34 PM »
Who's on the road!  I was going to wake it from the deep winter sleep, but after biking 57 miles and the Celtics were on and I had to finish cooking diner..... Well, maybe tomorrow night
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Vanagonjr »
86 Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender (WWW)

KingBee

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 11:28:51 AM »
My Vanagon is my daily driver, so she see's a bunch of new parts whenever she want's them.  I'm on the road with some new coolant pipes, thermostate housing, thermostat and water pump.
FYI there is no way on Earth to catch every drop of coolant when doing any of these proceedures.

Also, thank you Busdepot!  I took a ride from CT to their little town to pick up the Add-A-Room tent and a new rear chrome bumper (thanks to all the guys who lost big to me during that poker game in April who made this all possible).
Both are great!  The bumper looks great and the Add-a-Room is awesome.  I look forwards to the next campout I can make so I can "show off" my new stuff!
It was also neat to meet the Busdepot crew!  Really great bunch!

Now a serious note (as if a complete flush and change of the coolant system's moving parts wasn't enough) .... I got a new cig lighter from the BusDepot to install.  My old one had a 3 prong input, the new one has a 2 prong.  So I finagled/created a wireing harnes of my own design.  Seemed to work fine untill I discovered my dash lights now stay on full time!!!!
I have since disconnected them from the harness, but am a little puzzled on how they ended up being wired into the cig lighter harness.  Back to the schematics and possibly making a relay from the ignition switch .....

As Roseann Roseanna Danna said: "It's always something!"
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by KingBee »
._____
 /__|__\\
 | \\ @ / |
 |_\\._/_|
.||___||_
Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 12:02:19 PM »
You are in Rocky Hill!  I have always wanted to check out that state park - can you provide any details?  Derailing my own post here. :lol:
JR

P.S. - are you planning on West River Westies?  You should!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Vanagonjr »
86 Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender (WWW)

KingBee

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 05:41:34 PM »
This year will be my 3rd or 4th WRW and we have loved it every year so far.  So, YES, you will see me!  You can look for me in the pics from the past 2 years.  Look for the tye-dye'd VW-SYF.

I assume you ment the Dinosaur State park.  They have a Dino St Park day during the summer.  If you have kids it's a great time to come.  The park itself is not a huge big deal, but is however pretty cool and you just won't see the tracks you can see there anywhere else on the east coast.
You can make plaster casts of 4 of the foot prints outside the big geodesic dome museum.  They will let you use the rings (they look like the rings you use to make cheesecake - any cooking show fans out there?) where you ring the foot prints and pour in the plaster.

I digress ... it's like $2-$3 per person to enter and kids are free if young.  You are looking at an hour or 2 if you go for the short "hike" through the woods.

After seeing the museum head to Eli Cannon's on main st in Middletown.  My favorite bar, not only on Earth, but in the entire Universe.  Great food, great beer selection and you will sit next to either a blue collar Joe or University Professor.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by KingBee »
._____
 /__|__\\
 | \\ @ / |
 |_\\._/_|
.||___||_
Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!

rmace

• LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
on the road
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 07:49:02 PM »
King Bee as to the cig liter the third wire is for the dash lites. It lites up when you pull the lights on, When you put those together you have contast power to the dash lites. On the Vanagons they have a ring that lites up around the cig liter, hence when you put them together they lite up the dash lites. lose one wire problem solved. later Rich AKA The Con Kid
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by rmace »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.