For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: My 1977 2.0 FI type 4 bus needs a new ECU!  (Read 8296 times)

obnoxiousblue

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
My 1977 2.0 FI type 4 bus needs a new ECU!
« on: April 04, 2011, 08:44:15 AM »
I need a new computer for my bus, part numbers as follows, call or email with anything you have. Been having some weak idle and 'missing' issues at high speed, already replaced the aux air regulator, and all the injector seals. Found a few late bus computers on The Samba but part numbers dont all match up, not sure if theyre all too imerpative or if a ECU from a 78 might work?

Bosch: 0 280 000 164
VW: 022 906 021 AE

mikeh at dasvolks dot com

five one 6 8 five two 8 six 9 eight
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by obnoxiousblue »

rmace

• LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
Need ECU
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 07:48:53 PM »
The ECU is fine you have a short or bad connection to the distributor, bad points condencser or the distributer is warn out. Also check grounds, very important. Pull the dis out and see if it has play in it up or down or side to side. The ECU is one tough unit, very sledom goes bad. Just my 2 cents later Rich
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by rmace »

prez

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
1977 ecu
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 09:31:09 PM »
I just spoke to Mike, we'll meet up here, and resolve this.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by prez »

obnoxiousblue

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 10:33:37 PM »
Thanks for the call John, will look into the airbox, and the grounds on the fuel injector relay tomorrow.

Rich, funny you mention timing, I had just been in Florida with the bus a few weeks ago and after noticing an odd hesitation found, and repaired an intake leak on the driver side intake manifold. But then found that the bus was very weak after that, checked timing and realized that it was now off almost 30 degrees! I dont know how it was still running at all! But we reset the timing and it did well through the rest of the trip... That is untill at least I found this very irregular idle and weakness through first gear on the way back.

Im on my blackberry now, but will post the entire story later tonight or tomorrow morning so you guys can get a better feel for what my symptoms are.

John, send me the info for the campout in May, Myself, Peabody (fuel injection willing!) and the movie projector will be on hand!

obnoxiousblue

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 09:24:39 AM »
Ok, so here is where I started noticing "issues" that eventually led to where I am now. (If this were a biography I could see it being long winded) I took the bus down to Florida a few weeks back ran great for the trip down but litterally as soon as I pulled onto A1A I felt as if the bus was weak off the line. Once above say 20mph it felt fine. I dealt with the feeling for two days and then we dug in to find the source of my whoas, after quite a bit of looking, we found a (rather large) intake leak coming from the seals on the driver side intake manifold. Specifically, where the seal meets the phenalic space at the opening to the number 3 cyl. We made a new seal from gasket material, and put it all back together. Then, we started the bus and noticed that it still idled very weak, found that the timing was off, almost 30 degrees! We corrected the timing, and assumed that it was likely adjusted based on the intake leak, and having not known the leak exsisted the compensation didnt seem all too tort. Bus ran great for the rest of the Florida stay. I wound up injuring my eye rather severely and we wound up making a slow return home. I ultimately decided that driving sans one eye and in rather severe pain was a bad decision and opted to leave the bus at a friends house in Virginia Beach and flew home. I pulled into a motel 6 in Va around 10pm, and awoke the next morning to find that the bus did not want to idle, and when you gave it the gas pedal it would cut out. I also found that if I gave it lots of fuel it would sort of self-overcome the issue, and although it meant some finessing of the gas and clutch I was able to get the bus to my friends. I flew home, and had the bus brought back on a truck. Not knowing what the issue was at this junction, my decision was based on my injured eye) now here we are. But was running rather rich, replaced the auxilliary air regulator, and the cylinder head temperature sensor on the number 3 cyl. Charging system is working good, and we replaced all the FI seals, (each of the two seals on each cyl) Took the bus for a long ride the other day, and found that it would start strong, and idle great, but again any time i gave it gas (especialllyyyyy when cold) it would feel very weak, as the night wore on I noticed an increased fequency of 'popping' from the exhaust, and at that even noticed that while traveling around 50-60 I would occasionally feel a miss (almost like the bus was 'bucking')

Thats the short of it... LOL
Ill look into the distributor, relay grounds, and airbox next.

rmace

• LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
ECU NOT
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 07:26:32 PM »
Again remove the distributor and check for play or missing shimms at the bottom of the unit. If the distributor is worn it will change the timing when you give it the gas and when it gets hot. Also vaccum leaks kill a pancake motor faster than pinging. When was the last time the coil was changed? They screw up when they get hot also. I know  it happening to me. The good is when you find the problem you will know how easy they are to fix, don't over think it. It could be as simple as a bad wire to the ECU, remmember those wires are older than you. Hope this helps Rich

obnoxiousblue

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 10:41:12 AM »
Got into the bus yesterday, checked the distributor which felt good, checked the ground under the FI relay, and the airbox All seemed par. Put in the new computer, and it still ran rich, did a bit of playing around and got it running nice. It started right up, idled nicely and felt powerful off the line. The hesitation is completely gone.

I ran it around for a while took it on errands, did about 85 miles in driving all said. It felt good, I did notice a very faint missing when at highway speeds, but it overall didnt affect the bus and didnt seem bad for where I was.

Got onto the park way last night around midnight, was heading to west into Nassau county to stay at my grandparents house (so I didnt have to drive so far to the show today in Englishtown NJ) Well, I was on the parkway doing about 60 for about 25 minutes when the missfiring became more regular, and much more noticeable. If I came down to idle, it was gone.

I just cant get ahead here. This bus was never a problem!

Ideas?

rmace

• LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
ECU NOT
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 06:22:02 PM »
Go back to basics change points rotor and condenser. And if you have a good coil laying around change that. The missing at highway speed sounds like pitted points to me. Hope this helps, always go for the easy stuff first. Make sure you retime after the new stuff is installed. later Rich

KingBee

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 09:57:41 AM »
check your belt tension as well.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by KingBee »
._____
 /__|__\\
 | \\ @ / |
 |_\\._/_|
.||___||_
Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!

obnoxiousblue

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 11:00:29 PM »
Well, we have a little progress... Following the replacement of all my FI seals, the auxiliary air regulator, and the ECU, along with testing the airbox and checking timing, plugs wires connections grounds and wire condition, we found that the bus would idle better. I was able to drive it, but after about 20 miles, while at highway speed again noticed a sporatic but increasingly more noticeable missing at high speed.

Back to square one, found the points were sticking ever so slightly. Took the bus back out today, and did well on some errands, noticed that when cold it still doesnt want to just go, but now (unlike before these issues) needs a couple minutes to warm up.

Took the bus to school tonight, and while on the way home noticed the hesitation again, at about 63 MPH. While less frequent, and not as dramatic I suspect that had I continued pushing it, the sensation would have become more noticeable.

Im running short on what to do here. Im thinking next step might be replacing the distrubutor? I know the one I have isnt 'correct' but its been in there for 3 years, and untill now has never given any inkling of an issue.

I believe these numbers are correct for a 1977 Fuel Injected type 4
VW 021-905-205P, Bosch 0231 168 005 > 022-905-205S, 0231 170 093
if you have one, that your willing to sell, please respond with how much, and how much for shipping to 11731 (East Northport NY)

Thanks guys!

Mike
(and the sickly Peabody)

rmace

• LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
ECU NOT
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 07:24:20 PM »
Did you replace the points? Also did you replace the condenser? They do go bad, they help to give positive spark to the points! Best way to set point gap, is to take it out and see what the gap is on all 4 post. Look for the simple stuff frist, like Jim said it is a simple design. Hope this helps later Rich

obnoxiousblue

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 09:30:16 PM »
Hey Rich, yup its got a brand new set of points, I didnt replace the condenser as it is only about 3 months old (went back to points from a pertronix ignition) You think that even being 3 months old its still somthing to consider?

rmace

• LiMBO NUT
    • View Profile
ECU NOT
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 07:29:46 PM »
Lets see you replaced the condenser 3 months ago? And when did the problems start? Buy a new condenser what are they 10.00 dollars, some parts do come  defective they don't check them.  Like I said from the start of this go for the cheap stuff to fix, do not over think it. The fuel injection on the air cooled is one of the best out there. It still kills me why they put carbs on them?  Hope this helps later Rich Aka the Con Kid

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.