For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: 76 FI into 79 Engine - Issues  (Read 1870 times)

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
76 FI into 79 Engine - Issues
« on: August 17, 2005, 10:52:45 AM »
I also put this up on samba.com and read the topic of BoSoxBusBoy - '77 Wesy has starting problems.  <br><br>I recently put a '79 Engine - Code GE - into a '76 Bus in which the engine was blown.  The wiring harness, injectors, plugs, "brain", anything electrical were all from the '76 - Code GD.  The engine starts on the dime and idles well.  However, the timing is off considerably.  It idles best at approximately 28 degrees BTDC (should be 7.5).  My main issue is that when I apply the accelerator pedal is stutters and the majority of the time dies.  It does rev though some of the times and I can limp down a road.  <br><br>Fuel pressure is at 29 psi.  I've checked resistance at Temp Sensor II, the coil, and the AFM - all checked out.  I had a pulse light in each injector and they all work (maybe not at the right intervals though??).  I've been told that I need the "brain" from the '79 for the timing to be correct.  I've also been told that it shouldn't matter if all the electrical components are common, that the blocks are the same and that the distributor and vacuum advance is at fault.  I've sucked on the vacuum line going into the distributor and there is very little movement on the "arm" in the distributor, but at least some.<br><br>This never ending project is causing me ulcers.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.<br><br>Thanks, Dan ](*,)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.