For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Has anyone ever researched  (Read 3080 times)

MannAlbert

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Has anyone ever researched
« on: February 23, 2011, 03:19:13 AM »
Has anyone ever researched and found a different lifter--one that stays pumped up?

I rebuilt my air-cooled Vanagon a couple thousand miles ago, and set the lifters at 1 1/2 turns. It still clatters if only sitting for a day! It usually quiets down fairly quick, but sometimes one of the lifters hangs up for 15 minutes or so! And yes, I replaced the lifters and cam with new ones at rebuild. Any suggestions? Oh, I did disassemble each one and bled them before initial startup.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MannAlbert »

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 05:15:47 PM »
Perhaps backing off the adjusters to about 3/4 to 1 turn. Especially during break in.  Sounds counter intuitive, but I think that will work.  Boston Bob Donalds used to talk alot about VW's lifters and how the repair book was incorrect on bleeding and setting them.  1 1/2 turns might have them preloaded too much.  Bob used to say it could take several thousand miles to properly get all the air out of the lifters, even after bench bleeding them.  

I usually only have trouble with noise if I start the engine and move the van a few feet up the driveway and then shut it down.  Sometimes at the next startup, the lifter would make noise.  If I let it idle a few minutes or drive it around the block, I usually don't have trouble.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

prez

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
has anyone researched
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 09:13:45 PM »
With out a doubt, Webcam has the best lifters.  B. Bob and I agreed with this, They are expected to be used with their 'own' cams, [due to proper hardness].   Oil pressure must be be right; I have run them at 5K RPM at length, put them in 'storage' for a long time, and they work well.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by prez »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.