For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: high altitude  (Read 2511 times)

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
high altitude
« on: May 23, 2005, 10:04:39 AM »
Hello everyone, I am not a member of this org, and I've never written to this type of thing before either, but I've got a question and thought someone out there could answer it. Thanks for all the help.<br><br>I have a 1982 Diesel Vanagon and we live in Vermont. We're trekking out to the high country of Colorado in July. I'm wondering what if any modifications I could do, or what to watch out for up at that altitutde. Frankly, I have no idea how she'll do up there?! <br><br>thanks,<br>mike<br>
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Re: high altitude
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 05:09:36 AM »
i beleive there will be no problem out west  :),but do take a copy of the airs list from the type 2.com site ;) . becareful the list is very long for some states . example north caralina takes 50 pages alone. :o

Red Baron

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 10:15:29 PM »
Don't forget to join LiMBO and get a copy of the Transporter Traveler and Tourist directory (TTT)  Its a list a members in both LiMBO and NEATO that can offer some help in the event of a break down.  Many members don't mind just a visit for some coffee and conversation. Its a very handy book.  <br><br>I don't have any high altitude driving, but I'm told that in a gas engine. the lower the octane the better it runs at high altitude.  I recall someone telling me that they bought 82 octane gas in a place in CO.   Not sure how the diesel will handle it.   There might be an adjustment on the injector pump for hi-alt driving.  Check the Bentley book and see.  Also, talk to a diesel truck mechanic.  They may have an idea too.  Good luck.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Red Baron »

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 01:33:37 AM »
Hi, an engine is like an air pump. the more you can pump in before compression the better. At the high altitude there is less atmospheric pressure so not as much air going in. In a gas engine you usually have to adjust the timing slightly and adjust the fuel mixture for high altitude. Not sure about diesel. A turbo diesel compensates because the turbo compresses the air when it goes in but the vans do not have a turbo.<br><br>Just ask at a Volkswagen dealer since the diesel is identical to a rabbit or jetta non turbo diesel engine.<br><br>Hope this helps. Ultimately it should not be a big concern.

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.