For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: need place to work on Westy  (Read 8488 times)

vegiDsl

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
need place to work on Westy
« on: October 10, 2010, 03:32:56 PM »
anyone have space where i can swap my radiator and water pump on my 82 Diesel Westy?
I'm in the Greater Hartford CT area. I can't drive a long distance or on the interstate with the clogged radiator. if i can't get there by back roads i can't get there.
Peace
Jeff
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by vegiDsl »

vegiDsl

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 07:14:30 PM »
I have the replacement radiator. just need a place to put it in. Any help out there?
Jeff
82 Westy Turbo Diesel

dmartin

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 07:59:10 PM »
Sorry I'm not closer - I'm 30 miles from Canada with lots of back roads. I saw your post about burning veggie - way cool! I have a gas Vanagon, but have put a conversion kit in my diesel 2000 Ford Excursion and have burned 960 gallons of WVO (waste veggie oil) in the last 17 months. I tried blending before that, but the N.E. climate does funny, solidifying things to WVO. Back to the radiator.... I hope you can find someone closer...   Dan 8)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by dmartin »
1981 Vanagon - 2.08L. Our other vehicles - 2000 Tacoma, 2000 Ford Excursion and 2000 F250 with 7.3L Diesels.....I converted these to burn WVO. My living - maple sugaring, poultry processing and portable sawmilling.

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 05:49:02 PM »
I've sent a message to the Conn VW Assoc. (CVA) club to see if someone there can help.  I believe Jermey Clayton, CVA president, live in Glastonbury.  Which if memory serves, isn't that far from Hartford.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

vegiDsl

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 12:21:58 PM »
The good news is the radiator is in. the bad news is the swap only helped a tiny bit. but it did reveal that the head gasket needs replacing. So i still need a place to work on my Westy. I am in Glastonbury, south east of Hartford.
Anyone close who can help?
Thanks
Jeff

vegiDsl

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 05:51:50 PM »
The head gasket problem has become an emergency; I have oil in the coolant and the Westy can't climb a hill without overheating.
i can't afford the 13 hours at $100/hr the VW dealer here in town estimates to r&r the head gasket.
Does anyone know of a reliable competent shop near Glastonbury that i can get to without highway driving or hill climbing?
I can't wait any longer. this needs to be attended to NOW!
 i am disabled. i am homeless. i am still recovering from cancer treatment. i live in the camper. if it dies, i am in serious jeopardy. Are you willing to do anything to help me back from this cliff?

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 12:11:21 PM »
Just saw this - did you find a place?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Vanagonjr »
86 Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender (WWW)

vegiDsl

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 06:06:34 PM »
No i have not found a reasonable place to work on the Westy. i was able to swap the radiator in a driveway. i re-torqued the head in a parking lot.
Re-torquing the head resealed the head gasket for the time being. it was obvious the head had never been re-torqued since it left the factory.
this is a good solid vehicle with a lot of potential. i just can't fix it. i can't do what it needs in a parking lot. I can't survive if i take it off the road.
if you have anything in the way of a Diesel vehicle with a manual gear box i'm open to offers. See my post under VW stuff for sale.

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 08:48:38 PM »
Yeah, all my work is done in my gravel driveway, I'd love a garage, but I'd even settle for pavement!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Vanagonjr »
86 Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender (WWW)

vegiDsl

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 03:47:09 AM »
after two years of searching, i was offered workspace in a barn. it isn't ideal, but it is working so far.
the head gasket let go badly enough that i was loosing oil and coolant  at an alarming rate. i am convinced the head is warped or worse. i found a complete JX turbo Diesel set up and decided it was better to buy and install that than try to replace a head in a parking lot. in my opinion and experience, changing a head should be done in a work area that can be kept reasonably clean.
of course the JX had a bad injection pump, bad turbo, and a host of other problems. but it did bolt in a lot easier than the Jetta TD i put in three years ago.

Stanagon

• Global Moderator
  • LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 10:20:34 PM »
thanks for the update. Glad you found a space to work and got the westy mobile again.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Stanagon »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.