For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Need a trans for a 77 2.0 FI baywindow  (Read 3085 times)

obnoxiousblue

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
Need a trans for a 77 2.0 FI baywindow
« on: September 04, 2010, 01:00:54 PM »
You've seen the bus, my 77 Sage has some shifting issues to and from 2nd, the other gears are all 'moving around' making the shifter very predicatble. Started with the small stuff, shift rod and bushings all are done. Now have to rule out the big stuff.

If youve got somthing, for a fair price, drop a line, or call, 516 eight five two eight 69 eight

thanks

Mike
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by obnoxiousblue »

prez

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
need a trans
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 09:23:19 PM »
Mike, Make sure the likkage is OK to the trans.  The 'U' joint before the trans can wear, and the set screw can come out, or become loose.   Lube everything.  If all is OK, the problem is almost certainly in the 'nose' of the trans, comes off easilly,  and the shift selector rod can wear.  Replace it, done.   I have never seen this problem requiring replacement, as they are getting harder to find.   The demand is high, as they are used in sand rails everywhere.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by prez »

obnoxiousblue

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 07:33:09 PM »
Hey John, I did exactly what you suggested... We even replaced the bushings, and the 'ball' where the shift selector meets the hockey stick...

I can now get all gears, but I think in my efforts to force the bus home after the 'breaking' sound initially occured, that I caused more expedited wear. Now, the bus pops out of third, and doesnt have that positive 'in gear' 'click' or 'pop' on first or third, second is usually ok, but sometimes 'wanders' in the shift patter. a bunch of the guys here took a feel, and the consensus starts with syncros.

I ordered a Rancho, just for sake of feeling satisfied, as Peabody and I tend to travel around alot.

The trans came friday, I should get it in a weeks or so...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by obnoxiousblue »

prez

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
need a trans
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 09:25:09 AM »
Mike, Whenever there is a pop-out, it is the trans, [Gears, syncros]  It's good to replace, or rebuild, as these are hard to get 'good used' as the demand for use in sand rails is high.  Keep the oil clean and linkage intact and the new one will last.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by prez »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.