For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: 2.1 WBX won't start after running out of gas  (Read 3170 times)

gcollins

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
2.1 WBX won't start after running out of gas
« on: August 22, 2010, 10:04:10 PM »
Just made it to gas station, but it started chugging prior to getting there.  Filled it up with 15.5 gal and now it won't start. Always started fine for years.  Fuel pump sounds fine when the key is turned on.  I have tried repeated on/off/on/off with fuel pump in hopes of purging any possible air in lines.
I'm sure many folks have run many vanagons dry before.  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by gcollins »

Bradleyvw

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 07:47:20 PM »
I have run out of gas in the past, but when I filled up the tank, it started right up after a couple cranks.  Perhaps your fuel filter got clogged with sediment from the bottom of tank.  Pull the rubber hose off after the fuel pump to make sure its pumping.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Bradleyvw »

billinswpdx

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Not starting after running out of gas
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 01:45:23 AM »
So this is an old post but I had some experience with this a bit ago and this may help some with same symptom as mine.  Yes, might have been air in the lines.  After running it out of gas at the bottom of my driveway, and putting gas back in, it would fire, but not idle and sputter.  I kept trying over and over to no avail.  Found I could keep the thing running if I kept the throttle pushed to at least 2000rpm.  Took the think up my 60 yard good incline driveway, and as I got to the top, bam! just smoothed right out.  No problem.  After asking around likely cause was an air bubble in the system.  Running up the hill probably helped.  Does this make sense to the pros out there?  I'm a newbie Vanagon owner(six months)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by billinswpdx »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.