For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Replace Engine - Need Timing Info re: Firing Order  (Read 1973 times)

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Replace Engine - Need Timing Info re: Firing Order
« on: July 11, 2005, 09:38:24 AM »
Hello all -<br><br>New to this forum, but was a Limbo member several years ago.  My engine went a few years ago and didnt have time or resources to put into it to get it back up.  But now I do, and did, almost.<br><br>First off, have a 84 Westy, 1.9L Watercooled.  I found and purchased a used 1.9L engine from an 85.   Compression checked out OK.  Got it installed and  cranks well without the plugs in.  However, once the plugs are in and attached to the distributor, the engine wont turn.  Sounds like it wants to, but cant get over the hump.<br><br>I figure the problem is I have the distrubutor firing the plugs in the wrong order.  I found the firing order in the Bentley, however, I cant figure out which cylinder is 1 - 4.  So number one question is does anyone know how the cylinder order is arranged in a 1.9L?  Cant seem to find it in the Bentley.<br><br>Also, after attempting to start the engine several times, even with plugs out, and then in, after removing the plugs, i have no smell of gas at the plug cap.   I did confirm presence of gas at the intake manifold however (fuel pump ok).  Not sure how much of a gas smell I should get at the cap.<br><br>Any help with the problem would be appreciated. <br><br>Thanks,<br>Alex
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Re: Replace Engine - Need Timing Info Firing Order
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 09:12:58 PM »
ok here you go with the timing , cycl. 1 is the front right ,that's pass.side next to the trans. cyc 2 is at your right knee . pass.rear , cycl 3 is the one in the way back on the drivers side next to the trans cycl 4 is at your left knee . with out plugs in rotate the engine with a long screw driver place it in cycl 1  til it touches the piston .rotate slowly until the screw driver stops from coming out hte cycl.that will be to dead center . now check the distributor is the rotor matching up with a cut out notch on the distributor . ? if it is your ready to time the engine.  IF NOT,mark the dist before  loosing the dist locking bolt ,SLOWLY REMOVE dist.and reset the dist. so that the rotor matches the notch.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.