For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Broke off a spark plug - ouch  (Read 2004 times)

gcollins

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Broke off a spark plug - ouch
« on: August 06, 2010, 08:33:38 AM »
Evidently plug was corroded in, probably aggravated by constant coolant leaks in head.  Was very tight but it did turn about 1/2 turn....then snapped off.  All the porcelein came out clean with the hex, now I have the threads still in the head.  It's on the aft right cylinder if peering into engine bay. :(
Concern now is the threads in head may be galled.  To remove remaining part of plug I was planning on trying heat then an easy out.  Penetrating oil is already working.
BTW, '91 Carat Multi, 186K mi. original 2.1 engine with one rebuild at approx. 85K mi.  Van has been in the family since '93 and less than 20K miles.  Basically the daily driver since '99 without major grief (maybe I've forgotten) but the emotional "keep it going...cool factor....can't replace the classic" feeling is fading fast and the mutliple little problems that aren't worth fixing start to wear on the psyche too.  Add to that the wife doesn't care; she's not a VW junkie.  Sorry, got carried away with the nostalgia - I guess typing to you all is therapy.
Has anyone needed to repair/fix this SPARK PLUG problem, and what was successful :?:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by gcollins »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.