For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: 87 Westy aka MAUSHAUS  (Read 5141 times)

watervilleray

• LiMBO LURKER
    • View Profile
87 Westy aka MAUSHAUS
« on: July 06, 2010, 07:21:26 AM »
Any suggestions on keeping mice out of westy?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by watervilleray »

Peter M King

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 07:54:32 AM »
Dryer sheets, a whole box and throw them every where, if you have an air cooled push some into the cooling ducts but onlt from the bottom, remove before you drive, they are good for about 6 months.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Peter M King »

watervilleray

• LiMBO LURKER
    • View Profile
87 Westy aka MAUSHAUS
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 09:06:49 AM »
Quote from: "Peter M King"
Dryer sheets, a whole box and throw them every where, if you have an air cooled push some into the cooling ducts but onlt from the bottom, remove before you drive, they are good for about 6 months.

mice shred them for nests...live ones trapped daily...but dead ones somehow fall down shafts in door jamb vents and create foul odor...i have to blast out remains with power washer...i have removed plugs in bottom but mice do not exit before dying...???
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by watervilleray »

Peter M King

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 09:17:09 AM »
Holy Crap, I guess the mice have evolved to like the dryer sheets, I have heard moth balls work but leave a foul order, better than dead mice I would expect. Maybe you need some cats, I have seen advertisments for electronic mice repellers, I don't know if they work
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Peter M King »

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 12:30:54 PM »
I have used dryer sheets with success and also, unfortunately without any sucess last year.    

My mouse plan (for Vanagon) is as follows,  Wire mesh across battery vent holes - done.  Block off around inner upper grill that feeds the heater box - it is open along the sides and in the middle around the grill screws mounting tab.
I'm putting aluminum screen window netting inside the tubes to the heater box so to keep mice out of the box if they get into the van.

Finally blocking "knee bar" channel that feed the front doors on the way to feed rear upper vents (do those things really throw any meaningful air?

And I will continue to use dryer sheets. I've trapped at least a dozen mice in my shed this spring!  

I hate meeee-cessss!

John
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Vanagonjr »
86 Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender (WWW)

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 01:07:12 PM »
Was showing a friend my dashless Vanagon last night and wouldn't you know it, an acorn was in the void where the heater box was. The mice are back dspite trapping a dozen this past two weeks in the nearby shed!!   :shock:  

I hate mee-cesss!   :evil:

Guess I have to install traps in the van (again), really stating to think about that outdoor cat my wife hints at - I'm alergic and I am afraid it will wind up indoors in bad weather.  I don;t really like cats, but I I HATE mice, er ...mee-cesss!  To cat or not to cat... :?

John

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 08:13:44 PM »
Pulled 2 more dead mice out of the knee bar - used a garden hose end taped to the shop vac. Getting cat - already in motion.

prez

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
aka
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 09:46:05 PM »
Sometimes I think these mice know VW's more than people-well, they at least know where to live.   I have a cat around my shop, and there are far fewer around.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by prez »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.