For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: '82 Westy from Amerillo to Fayetville, NC - Blown Cylnder!!!  (Read 5213 times)

mdsarge

• LiMBO LURKER
    • View Profile
You may have seen my post Stuck in Amerillo...well we were plagued with fuel problem the whole trip...heat was high 90's 100's every day with more hills than I can shake a stick out and the engine compartment definitely got to hot on more than one occasion with that "burning rubber" smell, and finally having made it to Fayteville, NC from LA she decided to stop all together to unfortunately find out there is no compression in the number 2 cylinder. I had to leave her at a VW dealership that purports to have a mechanic that can work on her and now I need to look at my options and would like your input. First off she is relatively clean in and out. Windows, doors atc. should all be re-gasketed, roof is very pouus as a a Califonrnia vehicle having lived in the sun and pop up tent needs to be relaced.....
MY CONCERN is putting more money into this aircooled van which seems woefully underpowered and very sensitive to over heating especially when under load....TO DO THIS RIGHT WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Signed
Helpless in fayetville
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by mdsarge »
1982 Westy
1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Large Green Egg

Old Friends Not Forgotten
CJ5 - 1967
CJ5 - 1978 Golden Eagle
Landrover - Series III 1971
Landrover - Series 109 1973

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 10:18:21 PM »
I feel your pain.  I take it that you are heading to Rockport MA and stuck in Fayetteville?  So close, but yet so far away.

I had an AC vanagon Westy, and despite rebuilding the engine, brake, new pop-top, etc, I finally gave up on it when a water cooled pop-top Weekender came along.  

I just could not take the slow on hills.  flat ground was fine, but an up-hill on ramp seem to be taking my life in my hands, along with everyone else's.  Now having said that, almost all my problems with the new van have been cooling or heating system related.

I'll go Suby or Z-Tec at some point.  

Stan (Stan;s classic car in MA) had an 81 Westy (P-27), no propane, stove or fridge with head work and a 914 cam I believe and took major trips with it.   You should call him for advice.

Hit the A.I.R.S. list to find local help.  A used head might be all you need to get home and then you can take your time to make a better decision.  

Don;t worry about about the roof - been there, Boat paint works well.  
Also a Suby into an AC cooled van can, and has, been done.

Call Stan

John
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Vanagonjr »
86 Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender (WWW)

mdsarge

• LiMBO LURKER
    • View Profile
'82 Westy
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 10:28:15 PM »
So, sounds as if the watercooled later models had much the same heating problems....I flew back to Boston but hemoraged $ getting it to Fayetville and am now really at a loss what to do next and who to do it with not to mention cost...I can't keep throwing good money after bad so band aid steps, except to unload it, I am afraid of. I am thinking a complete rebuild and if that's the case do I go ZTech or Subaru and what problems come along with that customization and who to do it and at what cost??? I have no idea what I am looking at with the various options....

Broke and confused....
1982 Westy
1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Large Green Egg

CJ5 - 1967
CJ5 - 1978 Golden Eagle

prez

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
'82 NC
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 12:16:59 PM »
Oh, please, I've been running air cooled for well over 40 yrs. at extreeme torture conditions.  Yes I drive very fast.  Motors should be done over RIGHT to expect good service.  As time goes by, there are so many which run hot, poorly, and blow up due to IMPROPER set-up.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by prez »

mdsarge

• LiMBO LURKER
    • View Profile
Aircooled
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 07:59:35 AM »
I wonder why VW abandoned the design just after two years on the Westy...so I am told :roll:  Aside from all the negativity I have heard she was a great ride while running and yes at my 57 years I remember and have driven bugs on and off through out my life but no real experience with the aircooled Westy. Its not easy as a newby getting the straight scoop on them as everyone has a varied opinion. What seems to be a consensus is getting the "right" mechanic and god forbid you breakdown on route 40 in New Mexico because sure as _ _ _ _  your not going to find a garage that knows anything about them much less having seen one...which takes me back to my original concern and question as respects their RELIABILITY...you see I have about $7,500. into this one and am looking at going all in which means about another 6,000, conservatively and that is if the tranny is in good condition...so excuseeee me if I sound a little hesitant just trying to do my research and get as much feed back as I can.....On a side note...I have been told two different grades of oil...20/50 and Valvoline performance straight 40. This one VW Specialty shop in Amerillo swore by straight 40 in the summer and straight 30 in the winter..they say the engine runs 20 to 50 degrees cooler and after numerous rebuilds over engines they have seen in the past 30 years those that used 40 weight were in far stronger condition for wear....Danny's VW Stuff in Amerillo Texas....great source for parts which they will be selling shortly on ebay and Danny really knows his stuff!!!
1982 Westy
1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Large Green Egg

CJ5 - 1967
CJ5 - 1978 Golden Eagle

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 12:40:10 PM »
"So, sounds as if the watercooled later models had much the same heating problems...."

Let me clarify - it's not the engine having heating problems, it just dealing with all the coolant and heater hoses, etc.  

What is the next $6K for?  You could go Suby for close to that.
Your engine might just have a dropped valve seat, in which case a new head might be all you need.  When I got my air-cooled Westy, 1st thing I did was rebuild the entire engine, pistons, etc.  Knowing what I know now, the bottom end was probably fine and new (rebult) heads was probably all it needed and I would have been on the raod for far less money - even though I really enjoyed re-building the engine.

See if someone can evaluate the bottom end for you before you throw a new motor in it.   If even one head will get you home, perhaps that is the way to go.  

Mark Dearing is in Virginia, perhaps get it to his shop - or look into other places.

Salem Import Service, Inc.
1113 Florida St
Salem, Virginia 24153
Phone: 540.389.8587
Owner: Mark Dearing  

See
http://www.roadhaus.com/shops_search_ma ... tate_id=46  

for shop listing - biased toward water cooled Vanagon - maybe there is a shop right near the bus - how about a shout out to the Vanagon list?  There might be a member right near by.

Keep us posted.
John
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Vanagonjr »
86 Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender (WWW)

mdsarge

• LiMBO LURKER
    • View Profile
'82 Westy
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 02:07:15 PM »
Thanks for the tip on Stan! I called him yesterday and we had a long chat and between Suburban Engines building the motor and Stan installing it besides other items that are bound to pop up...the deprived fuel issue is still a problem never solved...my estimate could be about right, engine is about 4k depending on salvageable parts off the old....I now have to look into transport for it and the best I have come up with is $875. Fayetville, NC to Brookline MA...I have to find a carrier who will do it for less, if possible.
As far as the new engine/old engine I still have a question mark on the condition of the transmission...I'am hoping they will have a better idea once the engine is dropped, not sure.....the fuel problem where she stops and after awhile starts up again has been described as a possible core problem with the gas tank where the lining unfolds/ deteriorates and blocks the fuel line on and off with pressure to the injectors...that has been quoted as 1k fix alone.....and counting :roll:
1982 Westy
1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Large Green Egg

CJ5 - 1967
CJ5 - 1978 Golden Eagle

Stanagon

• Global Moderator
  • LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 01:21:11 AM »
So what was the outcome?

Hope you at least got the Van home.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Stanagon »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.