For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Eurovan maintenance  (Read 4918 times)

alain riaud

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
Eurovan maintenance
« on: May 28, 2010, 01:47:49 AM »
Hi folks,

I did not post here since last year.
I still have a plan to tour eastern north america this summer.
If I can find an acceptable price, I may ship my Eurovan Turbo diesel. Otherwise I will rent something bigger, but will you accept me in your campouts?

As it's an old beast, despite a low mileage (100 000 miles), I'm worried by potential breakdown.
Are they common in your area?
Do we find parts easily? Remember, a turbo diesel....

Thanks for your answers
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by alain riaud »

The Blue Max

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 10:30:03 AM »
Alan,

WITHOUT A DOUBT...We would love to have you at any and all  campouts, with or without a VW!

others may be able to answer the "parts" questions however.

Andrea
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by The Blue Max »

prez

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
eurovan maintanance
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 10:25:56 AM »
There are several folks which we have had recently at campouts who can help very much with these models-there is no need to be lost with with the idea of obtaining parts or help with any issues.    Jon
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by prez »

alain riaud

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 01:22:58 PM »
Thanks all,

I just received a quotation for shipping my van to US and back.
It's awfully expensive, 1700 € for transportation plus some 1500€ in taxes, harbour charges and insurance.......

I think for that money I can rent a decent campervan for two month.

I read american made campervans eat a lot, what kind of mpg figure should I expect?

We plan a stay from mid august to mid october, shared between the north eastern part of US and Quebec. Do you think we may find camping place closed in october?

We, my wife and I, hope we will be able to meet US VW bus addicts.....
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by alain riaud »

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 01:15:35 PM »
Hope to see you!  You can always campout at my place in SoEast Mass - 5 miles from the Atlantic Ocean - but we have already exchanged e-mails about that.

Some places may be closed in October, but a lot of places, and I would think perhaps all state parks, will be open.  Some places close their bathrooms when there is a chance of freezing weather, but generally, Oct should be OK for most of New England.   After Columbus day weekend (Oct 11th 2010), less pickings for sure.

September into October is a great travel time in New England with fall foilage.  Having said that, in October, depending how far North you are, the weather can range from t-shirt weather to freezing - sometimes in the same day!

Yes the US rigs will use a lot of gas.  I don't know the mileage, but I checked some forums and I'd expect less than 10 miles per US gallons (23.5 L/100KM).  7-8 mpg (33.6 - 29.4 L/100KM) seem to be popular - MrLimbo has a van-fornt motor home rig, maybe he can pipe in.   Gas right now is about $2.90/gallon

John
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Vanagonjr »
86 Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender (WWW)

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.