For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Suggestions on Road Trip and Prep for '82 Westy to pick up  (Read 1954 times)

mdsarge

• LiMBO LURKER
    • View Profile
Suggestions on Road Trip and Prep for '82 Westy to pick up
« on: April 19, 2010, 12:34:55 AM »
So excited, heading to LA to pick up a Westy just purchased on
Ebay..looks mint, interior and out 179k on Van 20k on rebuilt engine.

Questions:
Any heads up mechanical/driving tips, extra items I might bring allowing for a 4k trip in an air cooled van, avg driving speed, etc, etc given its an"82, oil that should be in her...other fluids I may need to top off that are particular to the vw...Do I need to stop periodically? with this van? I am taking my AAA card:)

I am in my mid 50's and my son(age23) wants to join me, which get's me into route places too see, we are all about camping, photography, fly fishing, bird hunting(not this trip) catching some sights..he's 23 ;) brewery's, etc. a bit of each the above would be great....10 days to 2 weeks which is not a lot of time so I will have to pick spots/events...(1) route is 40 across (2) the southerly route around the gulf through New Orleans and up the East Coast...One thing I should mention is that there is a mandatory surprise stop in Ft. Bragg North Carolina where my son is finishing up his Special Forces training..soooo damn proud of him. Need to try and create a memorable, scenic, historic, fun filled trip (Not spent in a garage, we hope) trip...Please forward as many links and ideas as you can..a dad doesn't have too many opportunities like this and I don't want to Blow it :roll:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by mdsarge »
1982 Westy
1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Large Green Egg

Old Friends Not Forgotten
CJ5 - 1967
CJ5 - 1978 Golden Eagle
Landrover - Series III 1971
Landrover - Series 109 1973

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.