For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: 1982 Westy - Maintenance tips  (Read 3434 times)

mdsarge

• LiMBO LURKER
    • View Profile
1982 Westy - Maintenance tips
« on: April 20, 2010, 03:25:16 PM »
I am looking to pick up a 1982 Westy and bring it home over 3k mile road trip. I am looking to the pro's to tell me what to look out for, bring along as a precaution, spare parts, etc...so please advise away...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by mdsarge »
1982 Westy
1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Large Green Egg

Old Friends Not Forgotten
CJ5 - 1967
CJ5 - 1978 Golden Eagle
Landrover - Series III 1971
Landrover - Series 109 1973

KingBee

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 01:20:07 PM »
You are looking for a super crash course in Vanagon?
I don't want to shake a finger at you, but a little internet research wouldn't hurt.
Start with this site that you are on thanks limbo.
then try "thesamba.com" forum for more info and tips.
Here's what I can tell you in bullet points.

- 10-W30 synthetic oil.  If going cross country, check your oil the EVERY gas stop till you're SURE your buring through it fast.  then check it at LEAST once a day while driving. & funnel

- Don't punish your new Vanagon by making her go too fast till you know her.  There may be hidden items she's just waiting for you to repair or keep up, when you get home.  Don't make them appear while you are in Kansas miles from nowhere.

- bring a Screwdriver (both kinds), 8,10,13,17 &18 mm wrenches, pliers, locking adjustable wrench, camera

- COMFORTS: cups, tp, paper towels, handi wipes, swiss army style knife (you wouldn't believe how handy those things are till you have a bus/vanagon), a ground cloth is good to have (if you are in California pick up a mexican blanket.  all the cool bus owners have them anyway), snacks for the stranded (granola bars and water in the bus at all times), cooler filled with beer and 4 cokes (bagel & creamcheez optional)

- keep a good attitude no matter what happens, it'll see you through.  If the bus gives you trouble, she's really just asking for help so she can get you down the road.  

- If there is a sign of trouble, DO NOT IGNORE IT.  Pull over, and see if you can figure out what it is.  If you can't, drink a beer from the cooler, take a breath or have a smoke and start looking through your manuals.  Oh yeah, get a Bently Manual and have a laptop w/ you so you can reference the internet if need be.

good luck ... there's a reason we all do this stuff and you are about to find out why  :^)

Goin' to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoin the ride!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by KingBee »
._____
 /__|__\\
 | \\ @ / |
 |_\\._/_|
.||___||_
Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!

KingBee

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 01:21:16 PM »
oops, should have read

- 10-W30 synthetic oil. If going cross country, check your oil the EVERY gas stop till you're SURE your NOT buring through it fast. then check it at LEAST once a day while driving. & funnel
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by KingBee »
._____
 /__|__\\
 | \\ @ / |
 |_\\._/_|
.||___||_
Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!

mdsarge

• LiMBO LURKER
    • View Profile
'82 Westy
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 08:43:56 AM »
Before you shake your finger too much,  I must say I did do some research and was finding a hard time to sift through all the conversions and related info and get down to general maintenance things to watch out for...for instance as far as oil I was coming up with 20w 50w and a mann auto stop/check filter, which had strongly been recommended...I was also trying to find out what the preferred oil type is, castrol, penzoil, etc. The engine apparently was rebuilt 20k ago so should be well seated and trouble shooted by this point. ..I remember with my 67 willy's you needed to have an extra coil or you were done, for some reason they were always a problem....What about fuel should I be running higher Octane, say 89% or better as a rule.....?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by mdsarge »
1982 Westy
1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Large Green Egg

Old Friends Not Forgotten
CJ5 - 1967
CJ5 - 1978 Golden Eagle
Landrover - Series III 1971
Landrover - Series 109 1973

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 05:57:17 PM »
Spare parts!!  I'm not saying keep a whole car, just a few extras..  Cap, rotor, plugs and wires.  Fuel pump and filter.  Throttle cable.  Fuses, bulbs and as King said OIL.  Since the 82 is air cooled, its the only liquid in that engine.  Some would say a spare alternator and wheel bearing set. But if you have that kind of problem, you'll want to find someone to help.   Speaking of which.. shameless plug... join LiMBO proper.  You'll get the 'Transporter Travelers and Tourist directory (TTT).  Its a list of members who want to help you out if you break down.  Its list by state and city.  Its helped me more than once.  

Replace the wiper blades before you go.   I hate streaks.  

As far as oil goes..  I'm pretty easy going.  As long as its 10-40 or better anything goes.  Oils today are top notch.  I put super tech from Wally mart in all my cars.   Not a problem oil related.  My wifes Jetta just past 265K miles.  Oil changed regularlly with whatever was the least expensive at the store.  I'm not brand loyal.  Whatever is on sale.  

Make sure the engine seals are in place. Nothing worse that driving an air-cooled engine with hot exhaust entering the cooling fan because there wasn't a seal.  It will be okay for a while, but long term engine life will suffer.  

I'll try to give more advice later... gotta go now.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.