For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Vanagon Drivablity problems...  (Read 21547 times)

KingBee

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 06:42:57 PM »
In an off posting conversation I had w/ Mr.Limbo, he told me how a Vanagon should act w/out the throttle switch plugged in.

Well, I'll be ... I never tried the 'unplug the throttle switch' AFTER I replaced the alternator wiring harness.  Without the throttle switch plugged in, she runs perfectly w/out a hiccup (15 min test drive).  If I get no hiccups over the next few days of driving, while awaiting my "new (used)" throttle switch, I'll declare the throttle switch and wiring harness as my culprits.

Thank you so much for the little, yet immensly helpful, info on how the engine will run without it plugged in!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by KingBee »
._____
 /__|__\\
 | \\ @ / |
 |_\\._/_|
.||___||_
Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 05:41:29 PM »
Okay, so now we have a new problem....  Well, kinda still on going.  

HARD STARTING!   When I had all those drivablities issues a few weeks back, I thought they were all related.  Now it doesn't seem to be the case.

The Bentley book is pretty vague on checking the Idle relay.  It says if the idle control valve is humming the relay is working.  

However, the van won't start unless I'm pushing on the throttle similar to an old Carburated car.   Its not a big deal, it would be nice to be able to jump in and start the van like it was designed.  

Any ideas??
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

St.Bus

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
    • http://www.unitedstaging.com
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 09:36:20 AM »
gonna stab in the dark here.
when you turn the key, the starter turns the engine, creating vacuum, that vacuum pulls air in through the afm flap door into the throttle body.the fuel pump is operated by the afm when the flap door is pulled open.
try this. take off air filter part to afm, get pencil and prop open flap door. go turn key to on position ( NOT START)
then go listen of feel for the fuel pump whirring, if it is, then check/adjust/lubricate your throttle cable, and linkage at the throttle body
Joe
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by St.Bus »
78Loaf
aka 78Kombi on FullMoonBusClub.com

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 09:39:34 PM »
The saga is over...finally!  After putting up with the hard starting issue from almost a year, I finally got serious and figured it out.  After going through the Bentley book step by step, I finally eliminated anything electrical.  So whats left?  The fuel pressure was right on the money.  So found some used injectors and replaced them.  Believe it or now, that did the trick.  It starts perfectly every time.  What a load off to finally figure it out.  I still can't believe it was the injectors.  Live and learn.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.