For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Poll

Good deal?

Yes
1 (50%)
No
0 (0%)
More to be considered...
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: March 19, 2010, 10:11:33 PM

Author Topic: Help buying a Vanagon 1985  (Read 6386 times)

deepseafortydog

• LiMBO LURKER
    • View Profile
Help buying a Vanagon 1985
« on: March 14, 2010, 10:11:33 PM »
Hi -  new to the site!

I have the chance opportunity to purchase a 1985 VW Vanagon (T3) 4 spd, 2.1L wasserbox, with 240K for around $2k.

The chassis and body appear to be in good condition with minor surface rust.  The paint job is in a pretty bad way so it may be a diamond in the rough... The interior is "well worn", but original and in decent condition - used by a youth soccer club!

Brakes are a little soft, but drivetrain seems good...

Does anyone have any info on the 1985?  

Is this a good deal?

Any info would be really appreciated!

Thanks,
Josh P
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by deepseafortydog »
;85 GL Vanagon (with racing stripes)
\'00 "slightly modified" VW Jetta TDI
\'95 Dodge Cummins DRW

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 12:28:34 PM »
Did someone upgrade the engine to a 2.1L?  The original engine in the 85 is a 1.9L.  

Rust is my main concern. I can fix just about anything.  Body work, thats another story.  No real patience for it. All the sanding....  I suppose I could do it.  But I don't have the tools.  If its got a good rust free body, then I say go for it.  

However, if your not mechanically inclinded. You may want to spend an hour's labor at your favorite shop and have them look it  over.   Do a full on inspection of the running gear.  The one thing to really think about these days, the exhaust.   Especially if it is an 85. Many of those exhaust hangers are long obsolete and hard to come by and you really need them.   This is coming from experience.  I've had to coat hanger up an exhaust on my 84 on the side of the interstate because I skimped on the brackets.  

You could consider finding the parts and upgrading the exhaust to a 2.1L from an 86 or newer van.  They are much less complicated.  Besided the exhausts pipes and muffler, you'll need the rear engine hanger too.  Something to consider.

Good luck.  If its just a Vanagon GL, 2K may be a bit high. If its a camper or weekender, it may be worth it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

deepseafortydog

• LiMBO LURKER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 08:15:52 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Yes the PO swapped the 1.9 with the 2.1.  We went ahead and bought it!  We're gonna call it Eyore.
\'95 Dodge Cummins DRW

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 09:44:37 PM »
Is it a hard top, or a pop-top?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Vanagonjr »
86 Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender (WWW)

deepseafortydog

• LiMBO LURKER
    • View Profile
We bought it!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 09:31:10 PM »
We went ahead and bought it.  The exhaust is in good condition and the hangers are rusty but in solid condition.  The spedometer shows 65 when you're going 35 though!

Yes it is a hard top.  Eyore - ha ha!  Certainly has potential!

« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 10:16:16 PM by deepseafortydog »
\'95 Dodge Cummins DRW

deepseafortydog

• LiMBO LURKER
    • View Profile
Racing Stripe!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 09:39:47 PM »
I'm pretty sure that's a racing stripe there on the side -  ha ha!  Not sure how much over 55mph she will go.

Wondering if the  brakes are supposed to be that soft and if the idle is always hunting - not steady RPM???!!!!???

Does anyone know?

\'95 Dodge Cummins DRW

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 06:56:08 AM »
There are several things that could cause that. There a throttle position switch, idle control module-I believe, O2 sensor perhaps, vacumn leaks and bad grounds.

Get a Bentley manual for sure.

You could spray the engine compartment hoses looking for vacumn leaks. You may want to just replace vacumn hoses and the O2 sensor as prevenative maintenance There are also 1 or 2 sensors that are good to replace as prevent maintenance, but right now I'm confused between air & water cooled, so I'll have to look
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Vanagonjr »
86 Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender (WWW)

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 10:40:52 PM »
Double check for vacuum leaks.  If everything checks out, just turn in the idle screw on the throttle body.  Sometimes the idle just needs to be adjusted.  If the idle is hunting up and down, like I think it is, the reason is because of the idle switches on the throttle body.  When the idle starts to climb and it hits a certain RPM and the throttle is still closed the switch kicks in and it kills the fuel.  Then, when the idle drops again, the fuel turns back on and the idle resumes.  This will continue until the idle is adjusted.  

Before you adjust the idle screw, make sure you unplugged the throttle switch.  The idle should raise up and stay up. Once you get the idle back where you want it, plug the switch back in.  You should be fine.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

deepseafortydog

• LiMBO LURKER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 09:51:19 PM »
Thanks guys - it was a vacuum leak that you could hear a mile away.  Once I taped it shut - no more idle problems.
\'95 Dodge Cummins DRW

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.