For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: National Parks out West. Bears and Grey water  (Read 3901 times)

beebrew

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
National Parks out West. Bears and Grey water
« on: March 05, 2010, 01:00:13 PM »
I am getting closer to making the journey West to see Yellowstone and other National parks. Can anyone fill be in on Bears, Food Storage, and Grey Water? I know there are restrictions on how food is handled in areas with Bear. Tenting can require keeping food in special containers outside of the tent. I also have heard you need grey water containment other than an open bucket. I would appreciate personal info from Westy campers on these subjects. The soft sides of the pop up give me concern. I really would like to be able to use my campers fridge, and kitchen. I presently do not have grey water storage other than a bucket.  Thanks for your input! Guy
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by beebrew »

The Blue Max

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 05:26:16 PM »
We went to Yellowstone with our Westy.  The bears really don't come into the campgrounds.  

In the campground we stayed in (which I assume is the same for all the campgrounds) there was a sink room to do dishes in the bathroom building. With a tent, people are told to lock their coolers and food in their vehicles. were also bear lockers located throughout the campground too, to store food in instead of vehicle.     We were basically at our site while in the campground.  I had no concern about the canvas poptop.   You can prepare food, and eat, outside at your picnic table, but clean up when you are done.

There is one campground in particular that caters to the big rigs, and I think has hookups and such....don't know anything about that one, as we did not stay there.  

When we go into the National Parks- or any other camp ground  where there is a "no grey water" policy, we have an external container (a collapsible, clear water jug) that screws via hose to the sink drain underneath the bus...then just dump into the ampground sink. I know you can get it at Go Westy.  Their part # GVW-26001

I see no reason you could not use your fridge either.  

Super cool amounts of bison and elk throughout the park.

Hope this helps.

And you best write me an article when you come back from your trip!

Andrea
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by The Blue Max »

beebrew

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 06:59:02 PM »
Thanks Andrea! Anyone else want to weigh in as well? I'm all ears!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by beebrew »

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 07:21:33 PM »
Been in Yellowstone/Tetons for a good 2 weeks in a tent, also have been there briefly in a Vanagon.  

The time of year does affect the animal traffic and how strict they enforce the regulations.  When I was there in June, there were lots of animals down low.  If anyone left anything out when you were not there, including a picnic table cloth or even a jug of water, you were going to get a $75.00 ticket. Saw one issued for a dog left out when the owner went to the bathroom and also one for a single burner stove left out.

When I was there in August (2 times) the animals are up higher and I saw little enforcement of the regs.

In Glacier Nat Park (Was there in a tent), there is bear traffic right around the campground (in fact the ranger told us that there was a corridor about 75' from where we were camped).  Surprisingly, I saw grills out, table cloths, dish soap, all interesting stuff to the bears with no citations issued!   What they don't tell you at Glacier, if a bear gets into anything there, the bear is put down.

Bottom line don't sweat it. Dump the gray water when you aren't there and stash the container.  Keep a sparkling clean site and any bears will find someone else's site more interesting!  Now in Yosemite ellowstone (been there in tent as well) , you do have to worry about bear damage!  I've had two friends have cars broken into by bears.  In Yosemite, they tell you to not only keep the cooler in the car, but out of site!  

John
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Vanagonjr »
86 Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender (WWW)

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 09:59:30 PM »
:oops:  I edited my above post -last paragraph said Yellowstone, instead of Yosemite.   Apologies to those who read it before.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Vanagonjr »
86 Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender (WWW)

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.