For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Busboi's First Bus!!!  (Read 5790 times)

Busboi

• LiMBO LURKER
    • View Profile
Busboi's First Bus!!!
« on: February 10, 2010, 04:07:37 PM »
Hey Guys, some of you guys may remember me from last year's Granny Grose's. I was the guy who owned the yellow and black VW Bug who won the annual membership to LIMBO. Anywho, after reading The Transporter and saving up, I finally found a bus!! It's a good runner and a stopper but it isn't a looker at all. Ha ha. It's a 72 Regular Bus with a grass roof and a early model rear bumper. Once I read up on how to post pictures on this Forum I will post them!

Hope you guys are staying warm!

Oh... I need to have 2 post before I can post pictures =-(
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Busboi »

prez

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
busboi
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 07:32:02 PM »
Congradulations!  My first  new [ish] was a '72.  I still have one and find it to be amongst the greatest, hope to have it back soon.  Maybe if I'm lucky I'll see you at Granny's with it.   Jon :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by prez »

Busboi

• LiMBO LURKER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 07:36:27 PM »
I'll be there. The mechanics of it are great, I was amazed that all the electrical work and the engine was rebuilt 5 years ago! Trying to hunt down a west rear seat, if I  don't find one by March I'll just get the hinges from bus depot and make one. There are some scrapyards here in NJ but they boost up their prices as soon as you remove the parts.  :roll:

Busboi

• LiMBO LURKER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 11:42:29 AM »
Good news, I got a full Westy interior out of a 68ish bus. Probably not going to use the sink cause I think it's in the way of everything. I'm late getting it inspected, but there's a garage my dad uses that might be able to just slap a sticker on her.  :lol:

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 10:21:41 PM »
Congrats on the bus!  And good news on the Westy interior find!

I think hard top campers are great - you spend most of your time outside anyway and you can add roof racks or a roof basket to the top.  Great for carrying canoes/kayaks/bikes as well.

You know, gutter mount Yakima (or Thule) racks can be found cheap on craigs list.  For wide cross bars, there is some plastic coated conduit that supposedly fits, so even if you just find the feet, you will be doing well.
You might need the high bases, but they can be added to std feet.
http://www.rackattack.com/product-pages ... er-kit.asp

paint option if money is tight  -
http://www.rickwrench.com/index79master ... paint.html

Write a little story for the Transporter!!!!

Where are you located?
Happy trails
John (Mass)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Vanagonjr »
86 Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender (WWW)

Busboi

• LiMBO LURKER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 06:23:37 AM »
Paint ha ha... the guys in the South Jersey Volkswagen Club told me to leave her as she is. There is too much character the way it she is, I'm on the fence. I'd much rather have a bus that I can put scratches on, than one I'd need to bring hedge trimmers with me going into a campsite.

I dunno if this this Transporter Worthy, but here's the story.

I've been eying up buses since I left Granny Grose's last year. I was the guy who one the free yearly membership last year, and came to the campout in the yellow and black bug. Every chance I had to grab a bus was taken away from me, because of money or because people got to the bus before me. Anyway, tax season came up and I had this plan to pay off my debt and start saving up for a Fiat 500/C. Then for some reason, I thought to check Craigslist for a bus. There was Mildred my 1972 Volkswagen Bus. I found her in February right before the big storm hit. People called me crazy, but I was on a mission. The P/O said her engine was re-built 5 years ago with the paperwork to back up this statement, and I'm finding a lot of things done to her that were usually on my list as things I gotta do before I cruise. People look at the bus and say 1,000 bucks... really? For once I didn't listen to what people said, I just went on my own and bought her. Picked her up in a major snow storm. I wasn't happy with the name Mildred which was the name the P/O gave her, until I looked the name up on a baby name webiste. According the the website, the name Mildred means "gentle strength". She may be worn and tattered on the outside, but like most things, it's whats on the inside that counts.

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 05:01:25 PM »
Yeah, I have bought 5 used kayak over the years.  I like to call them pre-scratched!   Nothing wrong with keeping her as is.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Vanagonjr »
86 Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender (WWW)

Busboi

• LiMBO LURKER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 01:46:58 AM »
Some nice woman backed into me apparently she didn't hear me laying on the horn. Anybody have a 72 Front Bumper laying around, doesn't have to be perfect...

St.Bus

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
    • http://www.unitedstaging.com
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 10:39:25 PM »
i do have a front emblem for that bus.. if you were looking. btw, love the WEEN sticker!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by St.Bus »
78Loaf
aka 78Kombi on FullMoonBusClub.com

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.