For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: cylinder heads  (Read 2582 times)

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
cylinder heads
« on: June 16, 2005, 12:41:23 PM »
How can i tell for sure if i have leaking engine heads on my 1988 Vanagon. The egine runs hot and there is air in my expansion tank. It has a 2.1 liter engine with 200,000 miles on it. I can smell anti-freeze when i turn on the heaters (briefly and then the smell stops?) It would seem to me if i had a leak in the heater core the smell would be there all the time?. By turning on both heaters i can lower the engine temperature (which i do when in heavy traffic. I have replaced the water pump and related metal piping, the expansion tank and level sensor. I don't see any anti-freeze leaks on the ground and when i check the tank there is an air bubble which disappears when i crack open the cap?. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Richard
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Re: cylinder heads
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 06:27:07 AM »
ok if the heads were leaking of coruse u would see it leaking , or if the the heads areleaking from the compostion side u would smell it in the exhaust ,there might be a little smoke if so . if the rear heater core is leaking u would also smell it , if u don't use it check under the rear seat between the engine firewall and the floor for a leak ,note the floor is plywood that might absorb it.for the front heater leak u would smell it and the carpet wet/damp,or slimmy feeling . u can also have a cold coolant leak ,for over heating,is the front radiator fan coming on  ????? is the colling system fully bled  ????? when was the last time u replaced the thermostat ????? i would go with the thermostat first ,bleed the system ,than do the fan repairs .  ;)

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 07:42:46 AM »
thank you very much for getting back to me so promptly. I had replaced the temostat although it was 4years ago  when i first notice the engine overheating in slow traffic.  I checked the rear heater (under the back seat) hoses and they are OK. The radiator fan does come on. In this neck of the woods there aren't any qualified VW mechanics short of the dealer so i guess i will have to bite the bullet and take it in to them. I understand there is a proceedure for bleeding the air out of the cooling system. If you know how please forward it on so i will know if the dealer's mechanic knows what he is doing or just costing me more money. Thanks, Richard Frigault

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 04:07:51 AM »
brfore u go to the "dealers" AKA RIP OFFS where are located ?? if you are from the southern states go to the full moon web site ,out from NC.also go to roadhaus .com for a good vw shop in your area.

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.