For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: approximate cost to replace 2.1L wbx w/ another 2.1L wbx?  (Read 5698 times)

dubstar

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
    • http://picasaweb.google.com/dubstar71/BusesByTheBigDuck2009#
approximate cost to replace 2.1L wbx w/ another 2.1L wbx?
« on: December 29, 2009, 10:00:05 AM »
looking for an estimate on what it would cost to replace my engine with another VW engine...is this something that could be accomplished at home by someone used to swapping air cooled engines?

to clarify...I'm talking about installation labor, not engine cost

thanks
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by dubstar »
1990 Vanagon
1977 Beetle

prez

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
cost to replace
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 07:20:00 PM »
In most cases, there are too many 'things' to do wiith the 2.1 install-the motors are exposed to the elements,  hose issues, lotsa plumbing, exhaust, fluid changes, and basic replacements.   The air cooleds are not prone to these issues. If these are not done, and the car does not have a 'good going over', it's not worth cutting corners.   Jon
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by prez »

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 01:03:53 PM »
Dubsatr,

Maybe you could give a few more details - are you talking replacing your motor with another used motor, or a re-built motor? :?
What is wrong with yours - leaking heads?  

As Jon stated, there is the exhaust, hoses, etc that must all be adressed.  I have dropped and installed air cooled Vanagon engines, dropped a water cooled and helped install a Suby, but I have not installed a H2O Vanagon motor, so I can't accurately comment on the ease of the install of the H2O motor. There is certainly more "stuff" to deal with on the H2O motor!  :lol:

John
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Vanagonjr »
86 Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender (WWW)

Bradleyvw

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 05:02:51 PM »
Simply pull the engine out of your Subaru, buy a kit from Small Car, and install in Vanagon. Done................Really, It is a little harder to switch a water cooled than an air cooled. If your paying someone to do it, it wont be cheap. I know where there is a freshly rebuilt 2.1 with many new parts (including heads) that uses a little oil, for sale.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Bradleyvw »

beebrew

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 11:28:15 PM »
I had mine out. It's a fair sized job. Looking at others, some have allot of rust and rotten hoses. If that's the case you are into a pretty huge job to get it right. Chances are good the exhaust will need work as well. I detailed mine with every seal possible short of splitting the cases. One thing for me is I would never consider a used engine unless I was damned sure it is in great shape. The labor is too significant to want to got at it twice. I'm getting too old to risk re-visiting that level of repair. I have already decided if I ever go for a replacement I will spend the big bucks to get as good a rebuild as possible. Go Westy engines look good by their description, but are pricey. I did buy an automatic tranny from them and found their service and product excellent. For what it's worth, good luck!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by beebrew »

St.Bus

• BUS DRIVER
    • View Profile
    • http://www.unitedstaging.com
Re: approximate cost to replace 2.1L wbx w/ another 2.1L wbx
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 04:46:13 PM »
Quote from: "dubstar"
looking for an estimate on what it would cost to replace my engine with another VW engine...is this something that could be accomplished at home by someone used to swapping air cooled engines?

to clarify...I'm talking about installation labor, not engine cost

thanks

I think most mechanics get anywhere from $60 to $85 an hour..$65 seems to be the norm..and they will prolly charge a flat rate, this is where they say "ok this job is 10 hrs labor", and you pay that , regardless if it takes 15 or 6...kinda keeps you from getting hosed.
Stan Wohlfarth of Boston Engine..call him ..he will tell you . 508-333-7813 ....Joe
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by St.Bus »
78Loaf
aka 78Kombi on FullMoonBusClub.com

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.