For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: Stripped oil drain plug  (Read 7081 times)

MrLiMBO

Stripped oil drain plug
« on: December 20, 2009, 09:09:57 AM »
I have an oil drain plug issue I'd like to get some suggestions about.

Some yahoo previous owner partially stripped the oil drain plug on my 87.  I've managed to get it tight but it still drips.  I thought of putting in a heilcoil, but the auto parts store said the 14MM kit was 87 dollars!  Yikes...  :shock:

I thought about tapping it out to the next bigger size.  But, I think, because of the recessed nature of the drain plug is going to make it hard to find a bolt that would seal properly.:sad:

I tried to put in a universal rubber expandable plug, but I couldn't get it into place and tight enough to make me feel comfortable that it wouldn't fall out.  

I'm sure this isn't the first time someone has stripped a drain plug, so I'm just wondering if there is a fix that someone has had good luck with.   Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 09:58:15 PM »
I too have a "partially stripped" plug, van came with it.  One option may be to take it to a privately owned place that also does fast oil changes.  Bet they have a kit.  The price to have them fix it may be less than buying the kit.  Alternative is to get several people together for a group buy.

I just bought a new oil "pan" bolt  even though I know it isn't the problem.  But at least I can determine the pitch from this bolt and see if if we have a thread rolling (not thread cutting) TAPTITE bolt at work to chase the threads with.   I'll let you know what I find tomorrow.

John
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Vanagonjr »
86 Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender (WWW)

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 05:11:59 PM »
Sorry, so busy at work, forgot about it. I'll let you know next year!

gcollins

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 07:47:40 AM »
I had the exact same issue in my 83 and now in the 91.  Sloppy work practices by "oil change" shops.  Anyway, I used the rubber expandable "well nut" trick for years until I was fed up with the continued drips.  So I bought an oversized thread cutting bolt, bit my lip, and went for it.  Wouldn't you know, it didn't go in perfectly straight so still had the same drip.  I ended up finding a tall hard rubber washer in my plumbing leftovers that fit over the bolt threads very snuggly.  That allowed the washer to squish more on one side than the other to adjust to the "tapered" space under the head flange of the bolt.  NO DRIPS.  The washer I used was white and actually a seal for an extended sink faucet aerator.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by gcollins »

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 11:25:13 AM »
I located the thread rolling fasteners at work in the proper size.  Next oil change, I am going to chase the threads and then install a new oil plug and see how it goes.  

While a properly installed heli-coil would be the best way to go, (beside droppin in a Sugy or Z-Tec) I think this may work out just fine.  :)

MrLiMBO

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 05:53:48 PM »
I came up with a good permanent solution for the stripped drain plug.  If I get some time, I'll write about.  Its better than a heli-coil.  You'll need to buy a special size drill bit and tap, but its worth it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MrLiMBO »

Vanagonjr

• LiMBO BUS NUT
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 09:18:14 PM »
Is it t Time-Sert?

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.