For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.

Author Topic: WATER LOSS PROBLEM  (Read 2686 times)

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
WATER LOSS PROBLEM
« on: May 26, 2005, 04:08:21 PM »
MY 1.9 PETROL TRANSPORTER HAS AQUIRED THE<br>DREADED HEAD GASKET LEAK PROBLEM, AND I HAVE <br>BEEN TOLD THAT THE BEST WAY OUT IS A NEW ENGINE.<br>I CANNOT AFFORD THE COST OF A NEW ENGINE AT<br>THE MOMENT, SO COULD SOMEONE SUGGEST A WAY<br>OF PLUGGING THE LEAK WITH SOMETHING THAT WOULD<br>LAST A COUPLE OF MONTHS OR MORE.<br>THANKING YOU<br>ALAN
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
Re: WATER LOSS PROBLEM
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 08:25:23 PM »
so sorry to be the bearer of bad news ,but here goes<br>there is no way to plug it or patch it up . the cheapest way out is doing the head gasket . just do the one for now ,until you are ready to buy a replacement engine. when it comes to buying the engine go to boston bob for it . nobody can match his knowledge on 2.1 or 1.9  :)

Anonymous

• LiMBO NEWBEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 01:18:56 PM »
Although your news is not good, I accept your<br>advice with thanks.<br>Alan

Red Baron

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 11:42:54 AM »
Most enviromentalist will kill me for this, but unless you have a drivablity problem, the coolant leak isn't the end of the world. Just a annoyance and an enviromental hazzard.  You can still drive the bus. You'll just need to keep an eye on the coolant level. <br><br>I drove mine for for about a year with a coolant leak. I used more coolant in the cold weather and less in the summer.  I averaged about 1/2 gallon a week.  I drove about 200 miles a week.  Every few weeks, I used to put in a stop leak additive called Bars-leak.  It would slow the leak  up quite a bit. <br><br>Bob Donalds will tell you that any waterboxer engine over 100K miles should be replaced. I think that it should be replaced at about 150 or more.  Mine had 160K when the leak appeared and I put another 13K or so before I replaced the engine.   So if you have anything under say 120K my advice would be to save your money for a new set of heads and gaskets.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Red Baron »

For Westies-at-watkins.org check out Watkins 2019
For Empirevwcamping.org go to NY State news on the dashboard.